Celebrate Pi Day with Markwell Funeral Home

For many people, March 14 is just the middle of March (or “Ides of March Eve”). But for pie and math enthusiasts, it’s Pi Day, celebrating 3.14, the special mathematical constant.

Markwell Funeral Home will be participating in Yippie Pie Yea Day, a celebrity pie-judging contest fundraiser, on Monday, March 14 at the Casey Senior Center. The contest is open to the public, both individuals and businesses, and the cost to enter is two identical pies for $25 (one pie is for judging and the other is for auction). The money raised at Yippie Pie Yea Day will go toward the Casey Senior Center and Senior Education Ministries.

file0002022961858

The local funeral home has offered to pay senior citizens’ entry fees so they can participate in the contest, and if they make their pies at the senior center, Markwell will also cover the costs of the pie ingredients. Markwell Funeral Home is invested in the lives of Casey’s senior citizens and has sponsored many educational programs including “Dine with a Doc” and “Spill the Beans.”

Registration to enter starts on February 1 and is limited to 250 participants (so don’t delay signing up!). The contest will take place on Monday, March 14 from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., with the judging beginning at 1 p.m. All participants should bring their two identical pies to the Casey Senior Center between 10 a.m. and 12 p.m. in order to be considered (12 p.m. is the hard deadline for participation). Pies will be judged on appearance (10%), crust and filling (40%), and overall flavor and taste (50%). The top three winners will receive ribbons, and the first place winner will take home a trophy and prize, in addition to the title of “Grand Champion.”

To participate in the Pi Day fun, register by email at loriaplin@gmail.com or send in the baking contest registration form to Senior Education Ministries 7 S 6th St. Suite 212 Terre Haute, IN 47807.

For information on news to the funeral industry, services at Markwell Funeral Home Casey Illinois, and answers to questions related to developing a funeral plan, read Markwell’s blog, which offers further information. You can also contact Markwell Funeral Home with your questions at (888) 932-2630 or email them at info@markwellfuneralhome.com.